A Beginners Guide on How to Use Pinterest
by Personal Stylist, Angela Barbagallo, May 8th 2015
Pinterest is a fantastic visual social media platform that allows you to create visual boards of images that inspire you. I will show you in easy steps how to use Pinterest.
As a Personal Stylist, I use Pinterest to show clients styles that they may like. As soon as I upload this image it has a direct link back to the item online which makes it super easy to order. I document entire client wardrobe’s in a Private Pin Board that only the client and I have access to. I have also created entire boards with recommendations for body shapes.
This is just the beginning of how this could work for you.
After reading this document, you will be able to make your way around Pinterest, upload images and re-Pin images.
Let’s get started!
First things first: How to Create a Pinterest Account
You need to sign up and create an account before you can Pin any image. I suggest to use your name or business name and make it easy for people to find you.
- Go to the Pinterest website
- Create an account
- Add a nice photo of yourself
- Add a little information about you or your business
Here is an example of what I have created for my business Style Angel.
How to create a Board in Pinterest
1. Pinterest is very organised. Instead of having lots of images in one spot, Pinterest demands you to create PIN BOARDs first. Spend some time thinking of your interests and how you would like to structure your Pinterest account. It is like one giant photo album.
I currently have 26 boards and about 60% of them are private so I can communicate with my clients on personal style recommendations during their 21 day Style Challenge.
2. Click on the Create a board sign and the following information will appear for you to complete.
At this stage you can decide to keep your board secret and who else can add Pins to your board.
Most of the time you will keep your boards public especially if you are running a business.
Pinterest is like YouTube where anyone can see the pins you upload unless you mark the board private.
3. Press Create Board
“Uploading images is what causes the most confusion amongst my clients, so I am going to break it down for you in simple steps. How you can upload an image from your computer/laptop, phone or iPad to one of your Pinterest boards will be easy for you!” Personal Stylist and Pinterest Fan, Angela Barbagallo
How to upload an image to Pinterest account from your Computer or Laptop
There are many ways to upload to your boards in Pinterest so let’s start with uploading inside one of your Pinterest boards if you are working from a laptop, pc or Mac.
1. Click on the board you would like to add an image to.
2. Click “Add a Pin”. This is always at the top of the board.
3. At this stage you choose to upload from “Your Device” or “The Web”.
Click on “Your Device”.
4. Click on the RED in “Choose Image”. This will take you to your “Documents”.
Select the image you want to upload. You will notice that you are only able to select 1 image at a time to your board.
5. You will be able to pick the board you would like to upload to. Pinterest is big in the description so a few words is great. It will come up red outlined if you don’t put a few words in. The source means a URL and can be left blank if you wish. I like to use this to point it to blog posts I have created.
6. Press “Pin it”
How to upload an image from your iPhone, iPad or Android.
1. You need to go to your images and not to your Pinterest App. This is where most people get confused.
For example here is an image I have on my iPhone and I want to upload it onto my Pinterest Arbonne Skin Care Board.
2. Select the image you would like to upload. (remember only 1 image at a time)
3. Press “Share” that looks like the image below if you use an iPhone.
Mobile phone’s interface changes every day so simply find the “Share” button on your Android device.
4. Once you have pressed “Share”, your phone will give a selection of Social Media platforms to share your photo on. On the iPhone you need to scroll sideways to find Pinterest button. It won’t be on the first Social Media button that comes up.
On an Android phone you most likely have to go down a list of Social Media buttons.
Press the Pinterest button.
5. Pinterest organises all your images in boards so you need to select the board you would like to upload your image to or create a new board. This will work like a scroll down list. As you can see I have now selected the board I want to upload to.
6. Press PIN IT in the Top right hand corner.
How to Pin from a Website
This function you will use a lot once you start using Pinterest.
Most websites, and especially Fashion websites, have a PIN IT button next to the images you see online.
Often the Pin It button appears when you hover over the image. Otherwise the Pin It button is amongst the “share” options the website has given you.
I will show you a few examples how this will look for you in your Daily Pinning Journey. You can start to see how you could create a Style Board of all the shapes, styles and colours you are loving this season.
How to Follow a Pinner or Pin Board
When you have created your Pinterest account there is a main page where you see all the images people have pinned. If you are using a computer or laptop, you get here by pressing on the “P” in the top left hand corner. If you are using your phone or Ipad you will need to download the Pinterest App, open the App and Press on the “P” on the bottom of your screen.
You can choose to search for your favorite fashion brands as most labels have their own Pinterest site. In the example below I have searched for “fashion” and “style” and lots of Pinners came up.
You can also see that you have the choice to click on Pins | Your Pins | Pinners |Boards.
When you see the brand you love you can choose to “follow” this board. Here is an example of how I searched for the brand “Diana Ferrari” in the search bar. I clicked on their Pinterest site and I clicked “follow” on the top right hand corner. You can unfollow at any time.
If you would like to FOLLOW me on Style Angel please Press HERE!
How to Pin someone else’s Pin
As soon as you click on any image in Pinterest you will see the option to Pin It.
As soon as you press on this, it will allow you to select the board you would like to upload this image to and what comments you would like to make.
This is called Re-Pinning
You can Re-Pin an image to as many boards as you like by repeating the same steps; Press Pin It – select the 2nd board and Pin It again.
Synopsis: How to Start Pinterest in 4 Easy Steps
1. Create your Pinterest account
2. Download the Pinterest App on your phone and Ipad
3. Create Pin Boards
4. Pin images from your phone, iPad, computer or from the web
Share your Comments
How do you use Pinterest? Do you have any Pinterest tips I missed? Share below!
If you liked this article, You will love this FREE eBook!
About Personal Stylist, Angela Barbagallo
Angela Barbagallo is one of the brightest minds in personal styling and confidence coaching today.
Angela has educated her many clients in making great style choices, which translates into increased feelings of well-being and a positive attitude in life.
Angela is a body shape and colour expert and a best selling author on Amazon of two style books “8 Ways to Look Fabulous, Taller and Slimmer” and “The Real Woman’s Guide to Hair”.
Angela is the NSW Independent Style Consultant for Diana Ferrari since 2011 as part of their Fusion Reward Program.
Angela also collaborates with Corporate Clients such as Bank of America, Jetstar and Bupa with her “Dress for Success” program.
Follow Angela Barbagallo’s blog posts: https://styleangel.com/blog/
Join the 21 Day Style Challenge: https://styleangel.com/stylechallenge/
Follow Angela Barbagallo on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/styleangel3
Follow Angela Barbagallo on Twitter: https://twitter.com/styleangel3
Follow Angela Barbagallo on Instagram: https://instagram.com/angela_styleangel/
Follow Angela Barbagallo on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/styleangel3/
Purchase Angela Barbagallo’s Books: https://amazon.com/author/styleangel