It is a tempting time at the shops at the moment as on one side you will have great discounts of 30-50% off last season’s stock and on the other side the new looks for the new season. Great timing to have a good look at your current wardrobe to analyse what the “Cost per Wear” is of the items in your wardrobe.
As a Fashion Stylist I regularly see overflowing wardrobes (both Women’s and Men’s) and my Clients still have a feeling of “I have nothing to Wear” every day. Sounds Familiar…?
Well there are a few Easy steps to take and some of my secrets I share with my Clients during their consultations:
- Go through your Wardrobe every 3-4 months, you will be juiced about items you have not seen for a while. In the April newsletter I have shared tips on how I do this for my clients.
- A crucial rule in acquiring a wardrobe of great looking, useful and cost effective clothes is to consider what you need and how much to spend, both annually and on each item. Rarely do we stop to think of what our clothes are really costing us to wear. Commonly inexpensive items can be found to be expensive if worn infrequently, while expensive garments can be found to be inexpensive if they are worn often. Before purchasing another garment take the time to study this Cost per Wear Formula.
- Cost per Wear = Garment Cost (incl. upkeep like Dry Cleaning & mending)
Total Number of Expected Wearings (see below for formula)
The Total Number of Expected Wears is calculated in the following way:
Number of wearings per week x Number of weeks in a month x number of months per year x number of years that the garment can be worn = Total Number of Expected Wearings
- Invest in trans-seasonal clothes that will take you through all the seasons. Layering is a great way to get great wear out of all your pieces.
- Invest in pieces that will Mix and Match with most items in your wardrobe. A pair of out-there shoes in a colour that doesn’t really go with anything you might want to think twice about.
- Accessorise, Accessorise, Accessorise! Yes you too guys!
- ONLY buy things you feel comfortable in and you LOVE! Shoes that are too tight or scratchy fabric on a fabulous jumper will look sensational in the shop but will gather dust before you know it! No matter if they were 50% off and a bargain…..!
- Knowing your best Colours and Styles that suit you will save you literally thousands of unneccesary dollars.
Leave a Reply